He was taken by stealth, the Prince of Peace. He was pierced for our transgressions. He was bruised for our selfish actions and by His stripes we are healed.


I wish to extend my honor and gratitude to those who have chosen to serve and sacrifice also for the sake of protection and peace. Thank You, and God Bless You!

Friday, February 3, 2012

You're Fired


For about ten years there's been a TV program called
The Apprentice, starring Donald Trump. It features contestants who are unknowns and more recently a variety celebrities so I'm told, from many venues who compete as teams doing different work projects. Eventually, they are reduced to two finalists, of which the winner win cash and a one year contract to work at one of Donald Trump's new enterprises. (What the celebrities win I don't know. I quit watching TV years ago.) However, there was and still is a process of elimination at the end of each show by Mr. Trump, who say, "You're fired," to one of the contestants. However, each of the contestants that were fired were shocked when it happened to them.

That was a Television Reality Show, but when it happens to you in real life it can be just as big of a shock, especially when you have a family to support. Even losing your job because of business downsizing, or going out of business can have the same affect. Many people have experienced this at one time or another, especially the past few years with the current world recession. When it happens, it could have devastating results. Many people have lost their homes, their cars, or the family sometimes breaks up; even a few people have committed suicide or killed someone else. It can be quite traumatic on anyone, but not worth dying or killing someone over. The truth is, it can also be the best thing that ever happens to an individual or a family.

These experiences help us to evaluate our situation as to where we really place our values and trust. We have to decide what's really most important in life. As children of God our trust should be in God alone—and not our jobs—knowing that he is in full control. Unfortunately, most of the world doesn't know this, and even many Christians struggle with this.

I remember about twenty years ago when I was fired from a job I had only worked at for a week. It had been eight months since we had lost our house because of foolish borrowing and investing practices. Plus I had already worked at two other jobs that lasted only a short time. Now, I was hoping this one would last longer. I was working for another small company, painting the exterior of a shopping center. I had told the contractor over the phone my work experience, and that was good enough to get me hired. When I started working I gave 100% of my abilities, but at the end of the week it wasn't good enough for him. He didn't say anything negative until he handed me my paycheck, and then he added that he was going to let me go. I was shocked and nothing I said would change his mind. None of the jobs I did seemed to last, regardless of how hard I worked.

When I got to my car I was devastated and started to weep. On the way home, I cried out to God as I drove, "Why does this keep happening? What am I going to do?" Then I heard him say, "Don't worry. It will never happen again. From now on I will provide for you." I began to feel a little better as I pondered his words, even though I didn't understand the full meaning.

When I got home I told my wife what happened and what the Lord had said to me. She could tell I had been quite shaken, then replied, "It's OK, take some time off and then try again." I didn't think that was what God meant. But, after a couple of weeks went by, I looked in the paper and there were no want-ads for painters. And all other jobs I tried to pursue fell through, and then we had to move again. I even considered working at McDonalds
, but we didn't even know where we were going to live.

For the next fifteen years God provided in ways I never expected or planned. I had to die to my pride over and over again, and at times my wife had to carry the financial burden of the household. It was also a very trying time for both my wife and young daughter who saw me different than any other man they knew. I loved them, but I wasn't perfect and at times I disappointed them. I tried to help them understand my feelings towards God, but there were times I didn't even understand them myself. I did things others didn't, but knew it was something I needed to do. However, I tried to help out as much as possible. 
During this time I also built our home, my art studio. I spent time with God, and studied the Bible and read spiritual books. I did small jobs for friends who needed help with an extra hand and occasionally I sold a painting. Often I had to disregard people's comments and forgive their accusations and continued to do what I believed God wanted from me.


After that long season, God finally provided me with a steady job that I could handle. I worked a security job at a large resort for almost 3 1/2 years. Then God had me quit that job and leave everything to follow him into intensive training for my new job—working for Him.

Getting fired should not be viewed as a bad thing—even if one deserves it, because God disciplines those whom he loves. It's all a part of God's grace to help us or redirect our lives to something better, ultimately toward the plans he desires for each of us. Look at it as a promotion.

When God closes one door, he always opens another, but not usually before. We should be patient and wait on him to open the door or show us the next door. Be willing to let go of any material things or carnal baggage along the way, no matter how special it may seem to you. Some "doorways" are not very big, but God will make sure you get to where you need to be. He loves you and He will provide and restore all that you need on the other side of that door. You can trust him.

No comments:

Post a Comment